Wednesday, July 18, 2007

No To Jamaica: Part 3

It seems that there is no shortage of hate for gays in Jamaica. When gays or people perceived to be gay are killed the gay panic defense is used to decry the foulness of killing. In this instance, Rev. Richard Johnson was killed by a young man who claims that the Reverend sexually attacked him. Here and here are stories of the killing. A year after the brutal stabbing of Ambassador Peter King, Jamaican officials have finally arrested a suspect. And as you would have it Sheldon Pusey, the suspect, claims the ambassador was making sexual advances and so [he] had to defend his honor. I guess simply saying no is not enough and so to prove your not a battyman it's easier to stab the person to death. I'll keep track of this story and report back. Unfortunately my cynicism tells me this young man will get off especially since leading politicians are already warning that the laws against homosexuality will not be rescinded anytime soon. Jamaica will be having elections in the near future and here is what the opposition leader Bruce Golding of the Jamaican Labour Party (JLP) had to say.

In reading these stories I came across blogs discussing the killings and a young man said something that I have been thinking for awhile and have probably been afraid to say it but I will now. He said, "I just think Jamicans are gutless and have no respect for life. Any place that murder, children, old people, priests, nuns is just a jungle. The only thing Jamaica has going for it is the glorious past as my grandmother remembered it." I'll add to the list, gays. And I'll add this as well, the glorious past was also a time when Jamaica was ruled by England. Maybe its time to return to that past because its obvious to me that blacks can't rule themselves.

No comments: