Tuesday, July 31, 2007

And So It Goes

I recently asked a friend of mine to re-resurrect my old blog for me and I was very happy to see it again. I'm going through the articles and after reading them I may post a couple. Because we are in the throes of political campaigns below is one that I find apropos. I tried attaching it but it didn't work so thank goodness for cutting and pasting.

LIFE GOES ON August 3, 2004
I abandoned my initial plan to comment on the Democratic National Convention love fest after listening to John Edwards' speech on Wednesday night. There are several brilliant opinion pieces out there that I have chosen to include here so as not to be redundant. One of these pieces happens to be Maureen Dowd's op-ed in Sunday's New York Times, "Can He Float Your Boat." While I rarely agree with Dowd, this piece is classic. Another brilliant piece is in the National Review and penned by David Frum, "The Two Americas Canard." Frum's piece exposes the hypocrisy that is John Kerry and John Edwards. The hypocrisy that continues to insinuate itself in the lives of the common man. While I'm not as brilliant as these two writers I would still like to give you my two cents.
I'm not sure if I resent both Johns because of their wealth, which is quite possible, or their condescending attitudes towards the "common man." I'm also not sure if I can listen to many more speeches about John Kerry's wartime experience. Yes, Mr. Kerry, we know you served in Vietnam and we know about your commandeering the swift boat and the men you pulled to safety. We know all of it because that's your only response to why you should be our next Commander-in-Chief. So we thank you and we salute you, NOW MOVE ON. How about giving us specifics as to what you and your running mate are going to do for our country beyond telling us that, "hope is on the way" and "we are the optimists." Hope and optimism is all nice and cuddly but these phrases suggest nothing more than emotional rhetoric.
While some maybe satisfied with four nights of rhetoric and feel that John Kerry is the lesser of two evils, (i.e. Andrew Sullivan) I'm not satisfied. If emotional rhetoric is what's going to drive Democrats to the polls in November then I guess Mr. Kerry and Mr. Edwards are a shoo in. If emotional rhetoric like, "so when you return home, you might pass a mother on her way to work the late-shift-you tell her...hope is on the way," works for the populace that calls themselves Democrats then our next president should be John Kerry. If the emotional rhetoric of Wednesday and Thursday night is what it takes to make the two Americas one, then Mr. Kerry is the man. But at the end of the day when some semblance of intelligence finds its way back into the minds of the populace then Mr. Kerry won't be so lucky after all and a place call Hope will have been a little town in a never ending dream.

No comments: