Sunday, September 23, 2007

The President has morning breath

Rudy Giuliani's recent speech to the NRA was interrupted by a phone call from his wife. The debate as to whether or not the phone call was real or planned is justified in the world of politics. But the more important issue is the use of cell phones in public places and perhaps candidates sharing more than we need them to share. I guess with the advent of facebook, myspace and Youtube its hard for political candidates to hide from sharing too much about themselves. However, as I'm wont to do, I really wonder if I need to know about Giuliani's wife getting on a plane in England or the fact that Edwards loves his wife so much he broke her rib kissing her. This need to know the personal side of the candidate is a bit much or better yet - too much information (TMI). I don't need to know that Barak Obama has morning breath and I sure as hell don't need to know that he smells. Most guys smell but I don't need to harp on it. Try doing a two mile run at 4:30am with guys who either didn't take a bath the night before or did or did not do something that resembles good hygiene the night before. I also don't need to hear that Ms. Obama's daughters talk to her about their periods. None of this has anythign to do with being president of the US nor should it. Ms. Obama says here that Barak leaves his socks on the floor. Why do we need to know this?

Two months ago Hillary was accused of showing cleavage. Where do we stop? Why is this information even necessary? I want to know what Barak has in mind for our military; I want to know what Hillary has in mind for the citizens of New York State; I want to know what Rudy has in mind for keeping terrorists at bay. I don't need to know what they wear to bed, who they are talking to on a cell phone that should have been silenced, I don't need to know about Barak's morning breath but rather about how he plans on turning hope into reality. None of these things are going to make me vote one way or another for a candidate but rather where they stand on the important issues of the day.


No comments: