Wednesday, August 01, 2007

It Takes Two

August is the month for sweating, choosing college roommates, shopping for college, attending orientation programs, going to the beach and going on last minute vacations. For those of us in higher education its about seating our fall class which means deposits, deposits and more deposits. For high school students its about being the new kid on the block and reuniting with old friends in a new grade. For teachers on both sides of the fence its about wishing for students who want to learn. And while some teachers will have their dream fulfilled some will not.

Several years ago when I was still actively recruiting high school kids I attended a school in the Bronx and was shocked at what I saw and experienced. It was a college fair of sorts and the first half was talking to interested students at my table. The second half was going into the classroom and talking to a captive audience about why they should chose my college over any other. In one word the kids were "unruly." As I stood waiting to go into the classroom I watched several kids run from the classroom I was expected to give my presentation in with the teacher running after them. The teacher was successful in returning two to the room but failed at rescuing the toher two. When I finally entered the room and was going through my presentation I realized that these kids really had no interest in going to college so their interest was in their cell phones and each other. I did my thing and left.

The lack of interest I experienced is not new to teachers. I have had teachers apologize to me and I have had kids give me the once over as if checking my bona fides as a black woman. This is not to say all high schools in the Bronx are like this and we have some wonderful kids apply from the Bronx. The point that I'm making here is what do you do with kids who could care less about learning? Do you work with them and try to get them to change their minds? Do you give them examples of what odds they face if they do not have a high school diploma and a college degree? And do parents figure into this equation or is it the sole responsibility of teachers? Well call me crazy but this should be a partnership. Teachers have enough to do in and outside the classroom they should not have to serve as teacher, parent and bottle washer.

In this article by Diane Ravitch, research professor of education at New York University, argues for parent involvement in the lives of their children and shares the "fascinating" feedback she received. The views were typical in that some blamed her for defending "lazy" teachers; others said she was "blaming" parents; and still others said she was blaming poor kids. But thank goodness one writer, who was a teacher, was spot on about the problems facing teachers in our schools and how parents can help. This is not rocket science. The responsibility that parents have to their children doesn't stop at the school door but goes from the dining room table where homework is done to the classroom where their child sits up and pays attention.

No comments: