Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Guilty or not Guilty

I realize that being on vacation you are going to miss a few things so I apologize for commenting on what is now considered old news. I thought it important to comment on this particular news item because I find it so amazing. I realize that one is innocent until proven guilty but Senator Craig of Idaho has already declared his guilt. The amazing thing about it, like the case in Florida, he now claims that he should not have been so quick to do so. I'm not sure about you but I don't really think that I would confess to a crime or misdemeanor if I didn't do it regardless of how quickly I wanted to get out of the police station.

Senator Craig states here that, "I should have the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have plead guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously." Ok, lets look at this. Isn't there a process where you ask for counsel if you are unsure of what you have been charged with? The Miranda waring states you have the right to be silent until you talk to your counsel. So what happened here? Did Senator Craig forget his basic rights? Or was he hiding something? I'm not so much concerned with whether or not Senator Craig is gay but more with telling the truth. Which is it? Did he plead guilty too soon or was he an accident waiting to happen? Like everything in life - time will tell.

No comments: