Sunday, June 03, 2007

Fresh and New

As part of my 9 to 5 job I ocassionally interview candidates for open positions in my office. Depending on the opening, I look for the following: 1) experience; 2) work history; 3) longevity at previous positions; and 4) daily tasks and increased responsibilities. I also look at how well the cover letter is written and for an error free resume. This may sound strange to many but I'm often surprised when candidates submit cover letters and resumes with glaring typos and poor grammar usage. One would think that if you are looking for a job you would attempt to put your best foot forward, but not so for some. In any event, after sifting through resumes I decide on ones that best fits our needs. The final step in this arduous process is the interview at which time the candidate can make or break their opportunity for a job offer. Sometimes we hit a home run and hire a great candidate and sometimes we strike out and we end up severing ties with the candidate several months later.

Several months ago we went through an interview marathon and ended up with three candidates. One candidate blew me away on the interview by her energy, marketing experience, articulation of past and future involvement and her desire to continue to learn and grow. After much debate she was hired along with one other candidate. Several months later I'm sorry we hired her and felt that I was sold a bill of goods. The fresh and new perspective I had anticipated quickly vanished and the professionalism I gleaned from her resume was suspect. All in all, I wish we had gone with another candidate but now as the saying goes, we are stuck with her.

I relay this story because I think it necessary for all of us to look at the presidential elections as a job interview. We need to look at all of the things I presented above and more. What we cannot afford to do is to be caught up in mundane things like good looks, scripted speeches, faces that look like ours, and whether or not the face is fresh and new. Which leads me to Barak Obama. First let me say that I like Barak. If his resume were in front of me I would definitely call him in for an interview. Based on past experience, however, I would not buy into the things I presented above. I think voters need to hear more from the fresh new face other than "he gives us hope." I hope everyday that my cancer goes into remission, I hope that pedophiles will be eradicted from our society forever, I hope that poor people will have more to offer their children, I hope that Iran won't bomb us into eternity. I hope for a lot of things, it doesn't mean I can run the country.


No comments: