Saturday, June 16, 2007

Bush's War?





"The administration is relying too much on flawed information. These are documents found on the floor of burnt-out buildings, strewn all over the floor, and taken at face value and not being looked at by trained analysts."

"We warned that, 'Regardless of US postwar policy for Iraq, Iraqis would become alienated if not persuaded that their national and religious sensitivities, particularly their desire for self governance were part of the foundation for reconstruction. Iraqis would likely resort to obstruction, resistance and armed opposition if they perceived attempts to keep them dependent on the US and the West."

"Saddam and his search for African uranium had been based on questionable intelligence. The issue was not trivial-even if this bit of intelligence, his supposed attempts to obtain uranium suitable for enriching, known as 'yellowcake,' was far from solid information. The allegation was worthy of investigation. Based on what we found, however, it was not worthy of inclusion in a presidential speech."

"I wanted to convey that I thought it would be possible to declassify enough additional information-communications intercepts, satellite reconnaissance phots, sanitized human intelligence reports, and so forth-to help the public understand what we believed to be true. I told the president that strengthening the public presentation was a 'slam dunk,' a phrase that was later taken completely out of context and has haunted me ever since it first appeared in Bob Woodward's book Plan of Attack."

"As difficult as the problems in Iraq, Iran, and the Middle East might seem, they pale in comparision to the global challenge of terrorism. Terrorism is the stuff of everyday nightmares."

All of the above quotes are from George Tenet's book, featured to the left. It is a hefty book and requires a lot of time keeping all the players in the forefront of the reader's mind. The book was disturbing for several reasons but most importantly my fear that we still aren't doing enough to protect the US. I don't always appreciate the need to write a book after a resignation or a firing but I'm changing my thought processes as more books are written. After reading the book I still have many questions and am quite disturbed at what has been presented as to the war in Iraq. While I supported the war in Iraq I do believe now that more could have been learned about the kind of people we are fighting. I also believe that Saddam did have WMD's and one day president Bush will be vindicate. This I'm sure sounds naive at best to many reading this but so be it. I say that in light of my former statement on us not knowing who we are dealing with.

I'm not about to debate whether or not Tenet is telling the truth or not. I will, however, encourage people to read everything and anything and not be sucked in to the fallacy that the truth is only the truth when stated my a particular party or a particular person.

No comments: