Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Gay & Republican Is Not an Oxymoron



In 2001 I changed my party affiliation from Democrat to Republican and haven't looked back. To say I became disenchanted with the Democratic party is an understatment. I also became disenchanted with many of the gay groups and their partisan rhetoric. Something had changed for me and I knew that I couldn't be a part of any organization that pushed the victim button nor could I be part of any organization that made claims to "saving" the gay community.
During this time, I took a break from "advocacy" work and started reading and researching. One of the books I read at the time was this book by Rich Tafel, former executive director of the Log Cabin Republicans. This book, I know its a cliche, changed my life. I found myself agreeing with everything Rich had to say and I knew at that moment that I had made the right decision in switching parties and his words reinforced my internal debate of several years. Many years later I still think this is an important book and it continues to dispel the myth that gay and Republican is an oxymoron. And it reinforces the notion that HRC is not now or have ever been non-partisian.
Here is some comments on the book including mine. "Tafel rejects the identity politics that lead to such unproductive alliances, favoring instead an emphasis on individual rights and responsibility in which political commitment is based on a desire to personally do the right thing rather than be "accepted" or "loved."
And my review: "Rich Tafel answered many of my questions as I struggled to figure out why I was still commited to the Democratic Party. Tafel makes clear and cogent points about the differences between the Democratic and Republican parties and comes out on top everytime. He gives evidence to the contrary that gay and Republican is an oxymoron. This is a must read for anyone who cares about the political future of gays and especially for those who see morals and values not as buzz words used by the Right but a way of life that should not be anathema to the gay community." I still stand by those words.

No comments: