Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Expectations

I have this problem, I have expectations of myself and everyone around me. I expect adults to behave as adults which means that they do not take advantage of nor harm children. I expect adults to know the difference between good and bad, right and wrong. I expect adults to treat children as children and not as peers. I expect children to be seen and not heard but that's another story for another time. I expect adults to be adults. Unfortunately, my expectations are often misguided at best when adults chose to behave in ways that run counter to these expectations. This story is just one example of how naive I think I have become in holding out expectations of good behavior.

We can blame this kind of heinous behavior on what LaFave refers to as "sex sells" or we can blame it on a belief system that has crept into our society that says bad behavior is to be overlooked because of "problems" in life.




No comments: