Friday, September 15, 2006

The Confession

On August 14, 2004, the governor of New Jersey, Jim McGreevey, stood next to his wife and before reporters and announced that he was a "gay American." McGreevey made this shocking statement because he was threatened with a sexual harrassment lawsuit by his former homeland security aide. At the time many in the gay community labeled McGreevey a hero and showered him with praise for "coming out." To insure his warm welcome by the community he consulted with and had his message crafted by the Human Rights Campaign. He was in like Flynn. This article speaks volumes.

At the time, unlike other gays and lesbians, I wrote a scathing renunciation of McGreevey and his behavior and suggested that his "coming out" was not in the best interest of the community nor was it anything to celebrate. He was not nor is he now my hero. Unethical behavior is unethical behavior. It seems now that McGreevey has become the gay icon of the day as he prepares to promote his memoir, The Confession on Oprah next Monday. He wanted to start with Oprah because of her "sense of faith and spirituality." What a bunch of hogwash. No, Mr. McGreevey you are not going on Oprah because of these wonderful qualities but rather because Oprah sells books. Going on Oprah to promote your book pretty much guarantees a number one slot on best seller lists. So don't give me the crap about faith and spirituality.

Unfortunately I will not watch the interview due to chemotherapy but I don't think my opinion of McGreevey would change much if I did watch the interview. I don't consider McGreevey a gay hero nor do I feel his pain. He lied to the people of New Jersey and to his wife. The people of New Jersey should be reimbursed for their payment of security for McGreevey as he went on his trysts. McGreevey's book shouldn't be called confession it should be called, "How I Lied To The People of New Jersey."

No comments: