Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Life with a Mediport


I was suppose to have a Pet Scan and a CT Scan this week but my insurance company hasn't approved the procedures as of yet. Waiting is always a pain in the arse but wait I must. In the meantime I thought I would share with you what my mediport looks like. For those of you who don't know what a mediport is here is a quick and dirty. A port is comprised of two components, a self-sealing injection port and a catheter that enters the vein. The port and catherter are placed entirely under the skin using a small incision. There will be a bump on the chest wall where the injection port is located. This is the site where the access needle is placed.
The needle is used to access my port each and every time I go for chemotherapy and is also used to draw blood. I have had three of these bad boys and the third so far is a charm. When I got the first one I was afraid of moving much less take a shower. I feared that "anything" I did wold rip it from my chest. But that hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will. Other than the small scar where the port is located and the bump you wouldn't be able to tell I had something in my chest. And the first time it broke I had severe pain in my left arm. That's how we knew something was wrong. But it has become like another part of my body.
I hope to get this bad boy out as soon as I get the "all clear" sign from my oncologist, which I'm hoping is soon. Although they recommend keeping it in for a year or so after you have been told you are in remission. So these tests are damn important and I hope my insurance company ponies up in the next day or so. So, wish me luck.

No comments: