Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

When I was a college student I use to hang out with a group of guys who were very political and I learned a lot from them. These guys added to my political science studies by their heart felt and passionate stand on various political ideologies. Years later, I find that a lot of college students are quite apathetic. I have not seen much evidence of their concern for issues local or national. Their concern runs as deep as their need for another drink at the local pub. I remember a student telling me that he checked off "Independent" on the voter registration card so he wouldn't have to vote. To say I was alarmed is an understatement. Some students, however, are very involved and actually know what's going on in the world around them. I appreciate their comments albeit charged with liberal bias. But I recently read this article and it gave me hope, imagine that, as to what college students are really thinking and doing. In the article, the author, Nicholas Handler gave me food for thought, a chuckle and a need to follow college students around to listen in on their conversations.

"We live our lives in masks and speak our minds in a dead language - the language of a society that expects us to agitate because that's what young people do. But how do we rebel against a generation that is expecting, anticipating, nostalgic for revolution? How do we rebel against parents who sometimes seem to want revolution more than we do? We don't." He goes on to say that their rebelling is done on the Internet on such sites as MoveOn.org. I say this article gives me hope because it sets me straight as to whether or not kids care about what's going on around them. I was happy to find out that they are "agitating" and are "putting it in their own words." So, at the end of the day it doesn't have to be my revolution it just has to be a revolution.

No comments: