Wednesday, April 04, 2007

No To Jamaica Part 2

In doing more research on homophobic attacks in Jamaica and other places in the Caribbean I realized that many of the articles dated as far back as 2001 and thought I wouldn't be making a cogent argument especially if things were "better" on the island. Unfortunately, I was wrong as you will read momentarily. So for the sake of research and establishing some kind of timeline, I will include most of those articles in this post. I want to fully drive home the point that these islands should not benefit from tourism dollars be the tourists gay or straight. For now, most of the articles are about Jamaica as it seems to be the most homophobic and brutal.

The articles I'm posting depicts the violence and hatred that these people have for other human beings. And I really don't care that homosexuality is illegal in Jamaica because none of the people in the articles were engaging in "homosexual acts" in public which is what the law outlines. In this article the chair of reggae studies at the University of West Indies in Kingston claims that dancehall has been misunderstood. She states, "Homophobia is one part of dancehall but you shouldn't reduce it to its homophobic lyrics." Excuse me? What should I reduce it to, playtime at the local jamboree? Be serious. When dancehall "artists" advocate KILLING gay people how can you not reduce it to its most basic forms? Leave it to the educators.

Here is another example of irrational behavior on the part of common folks who in some cases preach the word of God. When I was a young girl I was told over and over again that God loved "everyone." I now realize, according to "christians" that he loves you unless you are gay.

Here is yet another example of the rage that Jamaicans exert against gay people. When I was a child I heard the words but knew they didn't apply to me. I heard the word "battyman" used by strangers and family. It didn't occur to me that there was so much hatred on the island towards gay people and all I can say is, why would a gay person vacation there. I guess that's one of the questions being asked in this article. And just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water here comes another creature. Oh island in the sun...




No comments: