Wednesday, October 04, 2006

We Need a Barbara Jordan Right Now


Integrity (in teg ri te) 1. adherence to moral and ethical principles; soundness of moral character; honesty. This is a true definition of the former congressman Barbara Jordan. Jordan, in my opinion, is the epitome of what was and is integrity. When Jordan was faced with a choice of right and wrong she always chose what was right. In her speech before the judiciary committee, during the Watergate Hearings, she said the following: "Earlier today we heard the beginning of the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States, "We the People." It is a very eloquent beginning. But when that document was completed on the 17th of September in 1787, I was not included in that "We the People." I felt somehow for many years that George Washington and Alexander Hamilton must have left me out by mistake. But through the process of amendment, interpretation, and court decision I have finally been included in "We the People." Today I am an inquisitor. I believe hyperbole would not be fictional and would not overstate the solemnness that I feel right now. My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total. I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution."

Barbara Jordan was an incredible woman and an oustanding politician. I would recommend this book to all who care about politics in our lifetime. Mary Beth Rogers did an excellent job in bringing this incredible woman to life. In 2006 we could use more Barbara Jordans.



No comments: